Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My phases of spending.

Uh oh! There I went again! Spending, spending, spending. Oh well, it is stopping today! I am not really that upset about the money I have spent in the last couple of months, but it sure can't go on. The trees are not blooming cash so it is time to put on the brakes. I continually wonder when I will decide that it is more important to save than to spend. Well, I know it is more important, but it sure isn't as fun! But the fun bus has to stop and it has.

I have some good work coming up and I am SO blessed by all the phone calls I receive. Two yesterday and that excites me.

I want to be able to set goals for saving, paying off debt and budget my expenses. I have a difficult time toning it down though when I create the free time that I have been in the past couple of months. Spring is finally here and with the personal things I have been going through it is easy to head out and just buy what I want.

But, at 38 years old it is time to focus on my financial future. I am moving into a house that is going to cost me almost $300 more per month and need to focus on that. This adorable little house is going to take some cash over the next couple of years and the frivolous spending is going to take away from that. I don't want to work until I am 80 so I have to start "paying myself" in the way of my IRA first every month instead of just thinking about doing it. Here's the plan...

1. Stop writing the checks for cash at the favorite pub and just take enough for a cocktail or two.

2. Work smarter even when I am not swamped busy. I tend to create lots of free time and take longer completing jobs when I am not booked solid.

3. I have essentially stopped eating out but still spend on convenience store items for the kids AND myself. Better planning for snacks is imperative.

4. Get my invoices out in a more timely fashion so that the cash flow is more consistent.

5. Moving into the new house...Get organized with bills and paperwork so that nothing important is missed in a month. I haven't missed any important payments, but damn, it is inevitable if I don't get more organized.

6. Fun does no have to include spending. My golfing shouldn't cost any more this summer so that fun is taken care of. The kids' activities shouldn't cost anything but a few dollars at the concession stand when they "need" it! I won't be spending any money on myself for drinks etc...at the concession stands.

So, that is a beginning anyway. Realizing my weaknesses in spending sooner rather than later is a good thing. Time to buckle down and get the bills paid off.

I would really like to be debt free in 5 years. That is going to take some planning. I realize I might need some help in that area but for now this is a very good start.

Life is going perfectly for me! I am attracting what I want and loving every second of it.

No comments: